News and Views
Slice, Dice and Chop With Care – Cutting safety tips
Food preparation areas can be a hazardous working environment, especially in a busy mobile catering environment like a street food stall or food trailer. You and your colleagues are at risk of cuts while preparing food, serving and washing dishes. However, there are many safety precautions that you can take to reduce your risk of getting cut at work.
Knife Safety Tips
- Handle, use and store knives and other sharp utensils safely.
- Cut in the direction away from your body.
- Keep your fingers and thumbs out of the way of the cutting line.
- Wear protective clothing, such as steel mesh gloves.
- Use a knife only for its intended purpose and use the correct knife for each cutting or chopping job.
- Never try to rush a cutting, slicing or chopping task – you may get careless and have an accident.
- Keep knives sharpened and in good condition. Let your supervisor know if you have concerns about the condition of any knife in the kitchen.
- Store knives and cleavers in a designated area when they are not in use, and never store them with the blades exposed.
- Let a falling knife fall to the floor – never try to catch it.
- Carry knives with the cutting edge angled slightly away from your body with tip pointed down to your side.
- Place a knife down on a clean surface for a co-worker to use rather than handing it to the individual.
- Avoid placing knives near the edge of a countertop.
- Never place a dirty knife in the sink after usage. You or a co-worker may reach into the sink and get cut unknowingly. Instead, place them in the dishwasher or in a container labelled “knives only.”
- Do not interrupt or talk to co-workers who are using knives or other sharp utensils. They may get distracted and hurt themselves accidentally.
Make sure you follow all proper safety procedures when working with knives and other sharp objects, for your safety and the safety of others.
If you would like any more information on reducing the risks to your mobile catering business please give us a call.